Wednesday, August 15, 2007

a new weight tracker

I read on some other blog the other day (maybe Lifehacker) about this Google widget that some might find useful. It's a weight tracker for your Google Homepage (iGoogle), but it's not one that you're familiar with. Yes, you input your daily weight, but rather than seeing only the hills and valleys of your irregular weight, the widget calculates your running average, so you can see whether you are tending to lose weight, gain, or hold steady. I am not actually using it, as I have seven months of material stored in an excel file that's already showing me the 5-day average. But, I thought maybe the community would like to hear about this.

I think one thing it does require is a daily entry of data (weight) in order to give an accurate average. I just think of it as a piece of scientific information. It is not a definition of who I am, or my worth as a person, or anything more than a datum for finding a current trend. That keeps me sane, and it sure helps to see the average line pointing downward.

No comments: